Pages

Monday 24 December 2018

Unplanned Trip to Büyükada (Prince Island)

Bismillahirahmanirahim.



Welcome Winter. Yesterday marked the start of the first day of winter, winter solace. Nisa on Friday upon finishing class came to hang out with me. I am supposed to meet Kak Hanis late noon but she was a bit busy upon arrival in Istanbul. I first brought Nisa to my favorite coffee shop Dopamine for her to get a sip of my happiness. I was having a little headache due to lack of caffeine and decided to take machiatto with two shots. Nisa went for Chocolate Latte. While sipping the cup of coffee we talked on numerous thing. From studies to reading to self rediscovering. I then came out with an idea of short escape out of Istanbul and the nearest we can go to is islands nearby Istanbul. At the coffee shop, we didn't come into agreement on which Island to visit but later on agree upon Büyükada (Prince Island) as both of us have yet to visit that one. 

From the coffee shop, we make our way to Istanbul Forum. I was aiming for a few items to bought and at first going there to meet kak Hanis. As winter approached my skin started to experience dryness. I remember using the body shop shea body butter and it works well on my Asian skin. Back in Malaysia, the prices range is around rm 50/60 but when checking at the store here puff its around 100tl. A huge difference in price thanks to inflation that Turkey is facing. I then decided to visit gratis (Turkish version of Watson or Guardian) for cheaper local brand lotions. Upon arrival at the shop, I was at awe. They are having Christmas sale and most of the product were on discount. We then go to Golden Rose as I've been eyeing for a new color for my nail colors collection. I ended up buying a nail color which is nude matte and a nude coffee lipstick.  As a woman, it's hard to resist when there is a sale and always ended up buying thing which is of lists.  I always make a list of thing that I want to buy so that I won't overspend nor overbuy things. Other than making a list, I will always ask myself is it a need or just desire from there I could control my spending. I am a person who rather spends my money on books than on unnecessary things. We then make our way to Ikea for dinner. While chewing the famous meatball we decided on going to Büyükada. We texted a few friends inviting them to go for the sudden trip. Most of them can't make it due to meetings and finals but later Hafizan and his assistant Musta'in decided to join us. 

I and Nisa after filling in our stomach make our way to Carrefour which is located in Forum Istanbul to buy some items to make food for the trip. We decided on a tuna sandwiches, pomegranate juice, some finger food, and chocolates. Done with the shopping we head back home. At first, we were thinking of sleeping upon reaching home but ended up nail polishing and putting on masker. A girly thing which is a kind of therapy for girls. We slept a bit late but managed to wake up early and prepare the package for the trip. 

The next morning, we woke up, packed food and make our way to Eminönü. Upon arrival the boat we should be taking will take off in 5 minutes time but Hafizan and his friend are yet to arrive. We are a little sad with it but while waiting for them we came out with some other option which is Balat or Yildiz Park as an alternative. When they arrived we head straight to the bus stop and subhanaAllah when passing by the Turyol it was stating that the next boat to büyükada is at 1240 noon (that was 10 minutes more). We decided to take it and Alhamdulillah Allah has already decided for us to visit Büyükada on that day. It took around 1 hour and 30 minutes to arrived at Büyükada or Prince Island. The cruise was not smooth and did trigger my anxiety as the tide was so strong that day. I have the vision of sunk boat and etc but Alhamdulillah we reach the Island safely. 

The Princes' Islands are a chain of nine rather small islands in the Sea of Marmara. They evolved from a place of exile during the Byzantine era, to a popular destination for tourists and Istanbulites alike to escape from hectic life for a day. Of those nine islands, only four of them are open to the public : Büyükada is the biggest next to it is Heybeliada, Burgazada, and Kinaliada. 

As the boat approaching the jetty, I was so happy and later stepping my feet on the land makes me happy as it was a thrill boat ride. First stop is the mosque. We used google map to find for the mosque. It was a historical one as it was built by Sultan Abdul Hamid II in 1895 and was named Hamidiye Camii. Walking through the route in Büyükada it felts relax, there is no car at all. The people of the island mostly used electrical vehicles and not to forget the horse carriage (most islands is famous for it). After prayer, we decided to eat the food we prepared before we set off to explore the Island. While eating we have lots of company by cats. I could say that this Island can be known as Cat Island too because there are so many cats around. They are fluffy and friendly too. 



















We walk from the mosque later around. While walking I'm mesmerized with the building designed which is of 20th centuries design and of course Mediterranean style. The urban design of the island is very standardized, the house was built parallel with each other and painted with colorful colors. The people of the island is kinda friendly, we even had a brief session with kids who are playing with football by the street. We make our way to the city center where we can see the view of Istanbul from far. We set on next to take a horse ride around the Island. We called it Fayton (Horse Carriage). 


The horse ride was around 45 minutes and we had a stop somewhere in the peak area of the island as the horses need to rest for a while. I felt so sad on behalf of the horses because of the need to carry a heavy carriage and me with the rest. I decided during the stop to make friend with the horses one name sirin and another lemen. Sirin is lovely and as her name but the other one is a little shy. We then make our way back to the starting point of the ride and walk to the ferry jetty. As planned to make our way back to Istanbul at around 1730pm. We arrived in Eminonu at around 1900pm. 


The trip was a healing retreat for myself. Its been a while since I visited new places. I always hope to have a break from my normal life and surrounding. Let it be in Istanbul nor in Malaysia. Alhamdulillah Ala Kulli Hal for the day. SubhanaAllah  Kun Fa Ya Kun, when Allah permits it to happen it will. The air in Büyükada is so clean and the surrounding is serene. With green and historical sites, it is a short escape that heals. One thing I learned is that the limitation one is experiencing in within oneself not others. Be the best for yourself and love yourself. Another thing will come accordingly. Keep your cycle positive, help and love others too. With that, you will live a life with tranquility and happiness. 


p/s: thanks to Nisa, Hafizan, Musta'in for the company to Buyukada. 

No comments:

Post a Comment